This episode of HubShots brought to you by our HubSpot HealthCheck service:
Welcome to HubShots – APAC’s number 1 HubSpot focussed podcast – where we discuss HubSpot tips & tricks, new features, and strategies for growing your marketing results.
This episode we chat about a bunch of little but useful HubSpot features.
Listen to the episode here: https://soundcloud.com/hubshots/189-tiny-but-mighty-hubspot-features/
Subscribe to our YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD3Uo4X-IxPJLE8ygPDQhNQ
Subscribe to our Spotify channel here: https://open.spotify.com/show/7oee8w41riN5aRNrLKT2ar
Join the Facebook group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/hubshots/
Follow us on Twitter here: https://twitter.com/hubshots
Follow us on Instagram here: https://www.instagram.com/hubshotspodcast/
Follow us on LinkedIn here: https://www.linkedin.com/company/hubshots/
Recorded: Thursday 06 February 2020 | Published:
Shot 1: Growth Thought of the Week
Connect with us on LinkedIn
Connect with Ian on LinkedIn here: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ianjacobau/
Connect with Craig on LinkedIn here: https://www.linkedin.com/in/craigbailey/
We’re HubSpot Solution Partners: https://www.hubspot.com/partners/solutions
INBOUND20 18-21 August https://www.inbound.com/
Shot 2: HubSpot Marketing Feature of the Week
Syncing MailChimp activities into the Hubspot contact timeline: Enable it from Settings:
Also gives you contact properties you create lists on, trigger on etc:
A useful feature for companies slowly moving over from MailChimp to HubSpot for email sending.
Example: you could use this to trigger internal email notifications or tasks.
Note: you need to know things like the MailChimp campaign name – it doesn’t pull through email details:
Shot 3: HubSpot Sales Feature of the Week
Opt out domains when associating contacts with companies
(this has been there since March 2017!)
Here’s further details on automatically associating contacts with companies:
Shot 4: HubSpot Extra of the Week
Choosing date ranges in HubSpot dashboards.
You can choose the date range at both the Dashboard level and the report widget level.
(Note: this one needs you to hover over the area for the link to show – which is why it is easy to miss)
Shot 5: HubSpot Gotcha of the Week
Report setting links are hidden unless you hover over the nearby area (see previous Shot).
They are easy to miss!
Shot 6: Marketing Tip of the Week
Turn off automatically applying Google Ads recommendations.
Further, as a general rule you probably don’t want to Apply many of the recommendations!
This only applies to ad suggestions for Search Network campaigns.
If you apply any ad suggestions, they’ll appear in the Ads & extensions page just like regular ads. If any ad suggestions became auto-applied 14 days after they were created, they’ll appear with the tag ‘Auto-applied ad suggestion’.
Opt-out of ad suggestions
New Google Ads accounts automatically apply ad suggestions by default.
To opt-out of auto-applying ad suggestions to standard Google Ads accounts:
- Sign in to your Google Ads account.
- In the page menu on the left, click Settings.
- Click Account settings at the top of the page.
- Click the drop-down arrow next to “Ad suggestions”.
- Choose Don’t automatically apply ad suggestions.
- Optional: Provide feedback about why you’re opting out of auto-applying ad suggestions.
- Click Save.
Shot 7: Insight of the Week
Being held ransom by ‘traditional agencies’
- Can’t get admin access to WordPress
- Can’t get admin access to Google Analytics or Google Tag Manager
- Can’t get admin access to Google Ads
- Can’t get admin access to YouTube channels
- Can’t get admin access to Facebook pages and Ad accounts
- Can’t get admin access to HotJar accounts
The way it should be:
- You provide a service to a client and you give them all the keys
- Even after you’ve stopped working with a client you happily hand over access (if they can’t remember it), and you don’t charge for it
- The only time we withhold access is if an account has our credit card on it, and they haven’t paid their invoice(s) – which is very rare.
Shot 8: HubSpot Throwback of the Week
Here’s what HubSpot was announcing 12 months ago:
Adding in LinkedIn Ads into the ads tool, after removing it previously:
We covered LinkedIn Ads being removed in episode 95 (July 2017):
And welcomed it back in episode 151 (March 2019):
Shot 9: Resource of the Week
Benedict Evans’ presentation:
‘Standing on the shoulders of giants’ looks at what it means that 4bn people have a smartphone; we connected everyone, and now we wonder what the Next Big Thing is, but meanwhile, connecting everyone means we connected all the problems. Tech is becoming a regulated industry, but we don’t really know what that will mean.
Shot 10: Quote of the Week
“That was the greatest gift he gave to me: the belief that ideas, smartly argued, could have an impact.”
– Ben Thompson (Stratechery) reflecting on the life of Professor Clayton Christensen who passed away on 23 January.
Shot 11: Bonus Links of the Week
Keyword tools reviews:
Please rate and leave us some feedback as this helps us improve and reach more marketers.