This episode of HubShots brought to you by our HubSpot HealthCheck service:
Welcome to Episode 59 of HubShots!
Welcome to HubShots, the podcast for marketing managers who use HubSpot hosted by Ian Jacob from Search and Be Found and Craig Bailey from XEN Systems.
Join us in the Facebook group:
Recorded: Thursday 17 November 2016 | Published: Friday 18 November 2016
Shot 1: Inbound Thought of the Week
Inbound quick takeaways.
3 things that struck you.
- The SEO opportunity
- The Facebook opportunity
- The focus on tightly integrating sales and marketing
- Diversity of content – the right content type for the right audience in the right place
Discuss key value points from Gary Vaynerchuk’s keynote
- The Facebook opportunity: B2B has a massive opportunity
- Targeting meets design
- How you make your money, not how much money you make
- Your phone is your TV
- Practical risk: we are not willing to give up ‘stuff’ to go forward
- Self awareness – know who you are
- Use content on all the major platforms – the vulnerability of not creating content on all the major platforms
- Be a practitioner
- Creative is the variable of success
- TV budget is shifting into Digital budget
- Influencer marketing -> target people who have more than 400 followers
- Twitter and banner advertising is overpriced
- We need to have more risk tolerance
- It is an equal playing field if you are willing to be a practitioner
- Put yourself out of business – before someone else does
- Make long term plans
- Go to a retirement village for 2 days: the only thing you’ll regret is the things you didn’t do
Shot 2: HubSpot Feature/Tip of the Week
Lots of new stuff announced:
New visual workflows
Top 3 benefits:
- If you use branching, this is fantastic
- If you’re new to Workflows this will make learning them a lot easier
- Fits the overall tweaked user experience throughout the product
Shot 3: Challenge of the Week
There are so many ideas, strategies and tactics that we can choose from to learn and implement.
It is easy to get overwhelmed.
We need to cultivate a Deep Work mindset here – select 3 key opportunities and work on them with focus and determination. This is a time to work really hard.
In order to choose the 3, spend 2 hours going back through everything that ‘touched’ you from the conference, list them all out, and then set priorities.
Agree on the top 3, learn deeply, and delegate everything else to later, or another team member.
Ensure you extract maximum value from the 3 items, rather than minimal value from a massive smorgasbord of items.
Align your priorities with where you plan to be in two – three years
Shot 4: Stat of the Week
Gary’s keynote had XX expletives 🙂
Shot 5: Opinion(s) of the Week
LinkedIn for B2B is a person to person strategy
LinkedIn advertising is not effective
Ian’s example of mailing a printed version of an ebook to a qualified lead
Marcus Sheridan’s views of Inbound:
“It is my personal hope that the day will come when HubSpot will realize that focusing on business, sales and marketing (getting back to their roots)—rather than diluting those waters to appeal to the masses—will actually make them more, not less, attractive to potential attendees around the globe.”
Craig’s view: Inbound is on the path to being a SXSW ‘festival’ for sales, marketing and life productivity.
HubSpot aren’t good at explaining change – eg they try to wrap things in an ‘inbound’ context
Eg we need to do advertising, but in an Inboundy way… we need to make calls, but in an Inboundy way…
Shot 6: Pro Tip of the Week
- Define your company’s ideal buyer profile.
- Identify your ideal qualified Leads in HubSpot.
- Set up your lifecycle stages.
- Define Service Level Agreements.
Highlighted tip: Use a ‘Number of employees’ field in forms
Notice that SLAs are appearing as a standard in a lot of blog posts and guides from HubSpot now.
Shot 7: Resource of the Week
Nice infographic from Larry Kim and Brian Dean about optimising your organic click through rates:
Bonus resource: A page you can check HubSpot’s real-time information on system status and security: https://status.hubspot.com/
Shot 8: Updated Mobile App of the Week
Instagram – Added tagging in the Moments stream
You should be on Instagram if for no other reason than to see how businesses are experimenting with advertising there – I’m seeing a lot of B2B ads on Instagram lately eg:
Shot 9: Mobile App of the Week
Shot 10: Podcast of the Week
Moby’s Inbound Popups – four of them:
Shot 11: Quote of the Week
“If you’re not marketing on social media, you might as well be marketing inside a trash can”
- Brian Halligan
Shot 12: Popup of the Week