Welcome to Episode 70 of HubShots!
Another Late Night Special
Welcome to HubShots, the podcast for marketing managers who use HubSpot hosted by Ian Jacob from Search & Be Found and Craig Bailey from XEN Systems.
Join our WhatsApp group here: http://hubshots.com/whatsapp/
Join the Facebook group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1608138752821574/
Recorded: Wednesday 01 February 2017 | Published: Thursday 02 February 2017
Shot 1: Inbound Thought of the Week
Matt Barby on SEO (or what not to do)
Good beginner overview (not for advanced marketers).
If SEO is new to you, then this is a good one to watch.
7 quick points:
- The need for promoting content (Content – promotion = failure)
- The importance of user experience
- The value of testing (and not just believing things you read online)
- The level of analysis eg comparing topics with links, comparing word count with shares, etc
- 2.5 million blog posts published every day
- Backlinks matter
- Re-optimise content and CTAs to see improvement
Shot 2: HubSpot Marketing Feature of the Week
A quick reminder about the HubSpot URL Builder:
Available from Reports > Home, Reports > Sources and Reports > Events
Two reasons I like the HubSpot builder compared to the Google one:
- Keep a history of the links you’ve created
- Generates a short URL for you as well
Useful for creating tracking URLs, getting shortcut links, and having them saved.
Shot 3: HubSpot Sales Feature of the Week
HubSpot Template library
Creating email templates in HubSpot CRM
Ie Sales > Sales Tools > Templates
Some good templates:
And some that can just be teaching people to be insincere:
Here’s more sales email examples:
Aim for genuineness
Be wary of just telling fibs/flattery to get a result.
Shot 4: Cafe Consulting
We had our first Cafe Consulting session last week – went really well.
Book in 30 minutes with us on 08 March in Sydney to discuss any HubSpot feature or topic. Book here:
Shot 5: Opinion of the Week
Practitioners versus Managers:
Good read discussing the value of managers who are competent in the work their team does.
Shot 6: Creative Top 10 of the Week
Craig’s challenge: come up with 10 ideas to promote awareness of a cloud computing services company.
- Infographics showing benefits of new vs old way of infrastructure support & maintenance
- Write in the sky your URL
- Promote and target on Facebook content/images that show benefits
- Promote content and target it to CIO’s & CTO’s on LinkedIn
- Educate & target groups on LinkedIn that talk about hosting, not cloud based
- Create case studies and share them with existing database
- Review who in your database would be a good candidate to move to cloud services
- Write in depth content about issues people have that don’t use cloud computing
- Present at CIO’s & CTO’s conferences about the cloud computing advances
- Network with CIO’s & CTO’s at events that they would attend like sailing days..
- Get a call center in India to call all CIO’s and CTO’s with an offer
It’s Lenny to the rescue – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3D7OrxZrSk
Shot 7: Podcast of the Week
HubSpot To Go:
Good tips for improving email open rates.
Using names in emails – the benefits of not using marketing@ email addresses => avoid being lumped into Google’s Social or Promotions tabs.
Another shout-out to The Daily Hub with Samantha Alford:
She interviewed us today – it will live in the next week or so.
Shot 8: Resource of the Week
Analysis of hero images:
Good in-depth post covering the 7 types of hero images, when to each, how to choose colours, plus thing not to do (eg avoid sliders)
Shot 9: Quote of the Week
“Companies aren’t families. They’re battlefields in a civil war.”
― Charles Duhigg, The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business
Shot 10: Bogus Tip of the Week
Use QR codes in your marketing:
Shot 11: Bonus Links of the Week
Other stuff we’ve been reading and recommend, but had to cut from the show:
For the lols:
Potential new tool to use:
Some of Craig’s reading:
Craig’ book recommendations
Disrupted by Dan Lyons – book review coming in the next few weeks
Please rate and leave us some feedback as this helps us.
Book in for Cafe Consulting here:
This episode of HubShots brought to you by our love of Nespresso:
Interested in advertising on HubShots? Start here.