Welcome to Episode 82 of HubShots!
Listen to the episode here: https://soundcloud.com/hubshots/082-email-email-and-more-email-stuff
Join our WhatsApp group here: https://chat.whatsapp.com/09R0ogqg6ipI61YQRWPDtr
Join the Facebook group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1608138752821574/
Recorded: Wednesday 26 April 2017 | Published: Friday 28 April 2017
Shot 1: Inbound Thought of the Week
Not using emails as part of your marketing.
After our discussion last episode about No Pong Ian had a conversation with one of the co-founders, and they mentioned they made a deliberate choice not to send emails to prospects and customers – they didn’t want to clog up people’s inboxes.
An interesting approach – which we discuss further.
Shot 2: HubSpot Marketing Feature of the Week
Sending follow up emails to contacts who didn’t open or respond to the first email
Using Smart lists to target contacts who:
- Received but didn’t open (eg for Newsletters)
- Clicked but didn’t purchase (eg for ecommerce)
Shot 3: Marketing Tip of the Week
Abandoned Cart emails – CAN-SPAM and CASL compliance
Very difficult to get a definitive answer – here’s a few resources to review:
(This is not legal advice, obviously) however, note:
- Understand what a transactional versus commercial (promotional) email is
- Be aware that rules are different in different countries (eg Canada is considered the most stringent)
- If you do send abandoned cart emails, make sure you delete the contact from your database if they don’t end up purchasing
Shot 4: Podcast of the Week
Digital Marketer episode 93: includes discussion about abandoned cart emails
Special guest Syed Balkhi, Co-Founder of OptinMonster
Shot 5: HubSpot Sales Feature of the Week
HubSpot Email Tracking or Sales > Activity Stream in HubSpot
Know the second a lead opens an email, clicks a link, or downloads an attachment – then send a perfectly timed follow-up.
3 things we find useful in this tool:
- Knowing who has not opened your email so you can follow up.
- Knowing when people click links in your email
- When they revisit to your website
Shot 6: Opinion of the Week
Privacy and emails
UnrollMe got caught out selling people’s data to companies such as Uber:
They were ‘heartbroken’:
Tip: if you decide to delete your account with Unroll.me, make sure you revoke their access in your Google Account privacy settings.
Shot 7: Creative Top 10 of the Week
10 ideas for: segments for sending targeted emails to a cold contact list
- Send a breakup email if they have not opened an email for 6 months
- If they are a customer then call to see if they are getting your emails
- If an ecommerce store, use last order date as a way to target customers who haven’t purchased for a while and send them a special offer
- If a seasonal business (eg tax accountant) use a specific cutoff date related item in the subject line eg Implement these tax tips before 15 June 2017
- Test non branded marketing emails to contacts that have not opened emails in the last 3 months
- Segment them by industry/interest and send them an email sharing a piece of related information that is valuable to them
- Post them a gift (book/notebook/t-shirt) and follow up with an email
- If they’ve visited the site, but haven’t clicked on an email, email them asking about the last page they visited
- If they’ve filled in a form, but haven’t clicked on an email, add them to a list for the sales team to follow up with a phone call
- Check they have not unsubscribed from emails that you send! Check the timeline on the contact.
Shot 8: Resource of the Week
How can I optimize my emails for better engagement?
Tons of useful tips and reminders
Shot 9: Quote of the Week
Done is better than perfect. – Facebook
Shot 10: Bonus Links of the Week
Other stuff we’ve been reading and recommend, but had to cut from the show:
Tool to investigate:
Some of Craig’s reading:
Please rate and leave us some feedback as this helps us.
This episode of HubShots brought to you by Michele’s wonderful book for introverts:
Interested in advertising on HubShots? Start here.